Even if you are vaccinated, we require masks for all office visits, not necessarily out of concern for your health, but to protect the health of newborn babies and immunocompromised patients we do see in our office.
In order to keep all patients as well as staff healthy and safe with respect to COVID-19, we have implemented several changes to our office flow as well as environmental modifications. With respect to patient visits, we currently are NOT allowing appointments for anybody with fever, cough, and shortness of breath unless there is a recent (within 2 days of appointment) negative COVID-19 test which we must have PAPER documentation of. In Warrenton, there are 2 locations that provide rapid COVID testing: Piedmont Urgent Care and GoWell.
Office flow changes we have implemented during the COVID-19 pandemic include:
- We encourage all new patients to please download and complete office registration forms at home to avoid doing this in the waiting room.
- Office appointment scheduling now spaced far enough apart so that there should never be more than 4 people (if any) present in the waiting room at the same time. This also means we are not able to see as many patients as we used to.
- We request that adults come into the office unaccompanied to keep total numbers of people in the office to a minimum. For minors, we request only ONE parent to accompany the child.
- Allergy shots are no longer walk-in. They are now scheduled to ensure enough temporal spacing between patients, minimize waiting to get an allergy shot, and allow time for post-allergy shot monitoring to be performed privately in an exam room rather than waiting in the waiting room.
- If too many patients are present in the waiting room, patients and their families can certainly wait in the car and staff will call you when you are able to come in safely.
- Everybody MUST wear masks when in the office. That includes staff, patients, and their families. The only exceptions are young children and infants.
- Everybody gets a temperature check when coming into the office. That includes Dr. Chang himself, staff members, patients, and patient family members. Anybody with a fever (>100.4 F) will be sent back home or appointment cancelled.
- Contact-less thermometer used for temperature readings
Environmental control changes that have been implemented during the COVID-19 pandemic include:
- Portable HEPA units are present in all exam rooms, waiting room, and office hallway to cleanse the air of any aerosolized COVID-19 (as well as any bacteria, mold, viruses, and allergens).
- All clipboards and pens that patients touch are sterilized at 180+ degrees F for 45 minutes before re-use.
- Half of the waiting room chairs have been removed.
- All equipment used on patients are sterilized in an autoclave. Endoscopes are not only sterilized in cidex, but also handles drenched in 99% ethanol.
- Where appropriate, molecular iodine antiseptic spray will be used on patients
- All staff members practice frequent hand-washing.
- Exam rooms are cleaned frequently and additionally deep-cleaned when there is a concern for gross contaminaton.
- Check-In and Check-Out counters with plex-glass shieldings
- Thermometer, tongue blades, and pulse oximeter are frequently UV sterilized.
For those still concerned about in-office visits, we do offer Telemedicine visits limited to established patients for amenable problems.
We apologize for any inconveniences these steps may impose on patients during this trying period of time. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
And as a reminder, please wear a mask at all times in order to limit the spread of the vius whenever out in public places to protect not only yourself, but others.