Comprehensive Hearing Tests
Our office provides a full battery of hearing tests including unsedated ABR as well as prescribe digital hearing aids from the top manufacturers. We provide experienced hearing health care from infants to adults.
Before your visit...
Hearing Test Intake Form
Hearing Testing from Birth to Adult
The exact type of hearing test performed depends on the age of the individual but all are performed within a sound-proof booth to ensure the most reliable results. The standard comprehensive hearing evaluation performed are as follows:
- Air and Bone Conduction Hearing Evaluation which tests both the nerve as well as the air conductive capabilities of your ear at various pitches.
- Tympanogram which tests how mobile your eardrum is (which also checks for the presence of fluid and pressure abnormalities in your ear).
- Speech Reception Threshold (or Speech Awareness Threshold in children) which tests the lowest volume at which you can still understand speech.
- Speech Discrimination Score which tests the ability of your ear to understand speech at a given volume.
To see exactly how a hearing test is performed in children, watch the video below or here. After all, you certainly can't just ask a 2 years old child to push a button when they hear a tone.
Newborn Hearing Screening and Follow-up
Newborns are very special in terms of how to test their ability to hear, especially since they cannot "talk" to give us feedback on their ability to hear. As such, we perform tests that do not depend on their ability to talk to us. These special tests include Otoacoustic Emmission Testing (OAE) and/or Auditory Brainstem Response Testing (ABR). Instructions before your OAE/ABR.
Otoacoustic Emmission Testing (OAE) (Non-Sedated)
OAE is performed by placing an earpiece and playing clicks into the ear. The machine than listens for an echo which indicates that the ear "heard" the clicks. Instructions before your OAE/ABR exam (kids / all other ages). We offer NON-sedated OAE! For more information about this type of test, click here.
Auditory Brainstem Response Testing (ABR) (Non-Sedated)
ABR is performed just like an OAE, but special leads are placed behind the ear and forehead which measures brainwaves (just like an EEG or an EKG) to see if the brain "hear" the clicks produced by the testing machine. There are several different types of ABR (regular, tone burst, bone conduction, ASSR) depending on the age of testing and reason for the testing. Instructions before your OAE/ABR exam (kids / all other ages). We offer NON-sedated ABR! For more information about this type of test, click here.
Tone-Burst and Bone-Conduction Auditory Brainstem Response Testing (TB-ABR, BC-ABR)
These ABR tests are performed when hearing loss is detected on standard ABR evaluation. Such testing provides a guide to what settings to utilize on hearing aids if aided hearing is needed. Such testing allows for a better hearing aid fit in infants and children who cannot communicate their needs in terms of hearing aid amplication.
Central Auditory Processing Evaluations (CAPD)
Tests performed to see if the brain itself is having trouble understanding what the ear hears. No hearing loss is present in this situation.
- Instructions before the CAPD evaluation and Questionnaire to complete.
- Suggestions for classroom management if your child has CAP
- Suggestions for therapy if your child has CAP
Related Blog Articles
- What is Asymmetric Nerve Hearing Loss
- Cochlear Implant (Bionic Ear) Surgery Video
- Am I a Candidate for the Bionic Ear???
- How Good is the Sound With a "Bionic" Ear? [Audio Simulations]
- Hearing Loss May be Caused by Aspirin, Tylenol, and NSAIDS
- Hearing Aid versus Hearing Amplifier, What's the Difference?
- Hearing Amplifiers That Work Almost as Well as More Expensive Hearing Aids
- 60/60 Rule to Avoid Hearing Loss Due to Loud Music
- Hearing the Same Sound at Different Pitches (Diplacusis)
- People DO Suffer Hearing Loss After a Loud Concert
- Kissing the Ear Can Cause Permanent Hearing Loss
- Hearing Loss Can Can Accelerate Brain Volume Loss
- Hearing and Understanding ONE Voice Among Many Sounds
- Surgical Treatment of Noise Hypersensitivity
- Sudden Hearing Loss Can Be Due to Erectile Dysfunction Medications (Cialis, Viagra, etc)
- Temporary Hearing Loss in Children May Lead to "Lazy Ear"
- Why Don't Hearing Aids Help Everyone With Hearing Loss?
- Noise Charts as It Relates to Hearing Damage
Related Articles Readers Have Viewed
Any information provided on this website should not be considered medical advice or a substitute for a consultation with a physician. If you have a medical problem, contact your local physician for diagnosis and treatment. Advertisements present are clearly labelled and in no way support the website or influence the contents.